The strength of our department is the breadth and balance of programs. View the core areas of research below as well as the faculty whose programs contribute to these areas.
- Agroecosystems, IPM and Applied Ecology
- Apiculture, Biological Control, Conservation and Pollinator Protection
- Evolutionary Biology and Systematics
- Honey Bee Program
- Insect-Microbial Interactions
- Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Endocrinology and Genomics
- Urban Entomology
- Vector Biology, Livestock and Medical Entomology
- Wetland and Aquatic Ecology
Fire ants (genus Solenopsis) present many fascinating problems in population genetics and evolution and are readily studied in the field and laboratory.